1515 Poydras Street, Suite 2130
New Orleans, LA 70112
Toll Free: 800-856-1241
Ili is a partner at the firm and is engaged in general trial and appellate practice primarily involved in general liability, tort and property damage, cargo subrogation claims involving ocean, trucking and rail transportation and insurance defense. Her practice is both international and local, and she handles a wide variety of admiralty and maritime claims including blue and brown water maritime litigation, personal injury defense cases, marine and general property and casualty insurance claims, breach of contract litigation, premise liability, contract disputes and government contracting. She involves much of her strategy to figure out the best approach to claim resolution with the client’s best interest in mind, and she is tough but conscientious at the same time, dedicated to her clients’ causes and devoted to the cases that she handles. She provides the best and most cost-effective approach to follow and is excellent at assessing liability and damages, and developing effective defenses for a successful resolution of the cases entrusted to her care.
In her more than 23 years of litigation experience she has handled a wide variety of cases in both state and federal courts at the district and appellate levels, acting both as plaintiff and defendant. She has participated as first chair in a number of trials in federal and state courts in Florida, Louisiana, Texas and D.C., also participating with local counsel in other states such as Alabama, California, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, New York, Ohio and South Carolina, and has appeared before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth, Ninth and Eleventh Circuits. She is also experienced in international litigation assessing case strategy, coordinating discovery and resolution through trial or arbitration with attorneys in Europe, the Middle East, Central and South America.
Ili is licensed to practice law in all state and federal courts in Florida, Louisiana and Texas, including the U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Fifth, Eleventh and Federal Circuits, and since 1992 she has been licensed to practice law in Venezuela. She is a member of the Maritime Law Association (MLA), the Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute (SEALI), the Louisiana Trial Lawyers Association, Women’s International Shipping and Trade Association (WISTA), and the Transportation Lawyers Association (TLA).
She graduated from the Universidad del Zulia School of Law in Venezuela in 1992 where she obtained her first law degree. In 1993 she obtained a Masters in Comparative law from the University of Miami, a Masters in Admiralty and Maritime law from Tulane University in 1994, and after four years of practice in Louisiana she returned as a part-time student to law school and obtained a Juris Doctor degree in common law from Loyola University in 2000.
She was born in Miami and is fluent in Spanish and English, and serves as a mentor with Volunteers of America in the New Orleans area.
- Civil Litigation
- Admiralty Law
- Insurance Litigation
- Government Contracting Litigation
- Transportation Law
- Commercial Litigation
- Universidad Del Zulia, Maracaibo, Venezuela – AbogadoLoyola
- University, New Orleans, Louisiana – J.D.
- University of Miami, Coral Gables, Florida – LL.M. in Comparative Law
- Tulane University, New Orleans Louisiana – LL.M. in Admiralty
- United States Court for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana
- United States Court for the Southern, Western and Northern Districts of Texas
- United States Court for the Southern, Northern and Middle District of Florida
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- United States Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit (Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas)
- United States Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit (Alabama, Florida and Georgia)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- MLA-Maritime Law Association
- SEALI-Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute
- WISTA-Women’s International Shipping and Trading Association
- Transportation Law Association
- BV Distinguished